While the finite details of the Lumia 1020 are still coming out, with details like the info included in this whitepaper about the nitty gritty of the camera. Down here in the southern hemisphere though, the event was late, and not everyone had the stamina to stay up and take in the event. Luckily for us, there were larger news sites on the spot to capture the event, so that we can watch at our leisure.
And a leisurely event it was, jeans, sneakers and sports jackets belying the importance of the announcement, an announcement so important that Stephen Elop himself, was the primary presenter, with a little bit of added help. To say that this is the most important device to hit the market in terms of Windows Phone would be a gross understatement.
Want the short version!
Full press from Nokia Australia after the link.
Last night at a press conference in New York, Nokia CEO Stephen Elop set a new benchmark in smartphone photography with the announcement of the Nokia Lumia 1020. Unlike any smartphone on the market today, the Nokia Lumia 1020 – with its second generation 41 megapixel sensor – reinvents zoom, enabling people to discover more detail than ever before.
Outlined below is a summary of the key announcements from New York, along with links to press releases, images and videos.
Nokia Lumia 1020
· The Nokia Lumia 1020’s 41 megapixel sensor features leading ZEISS optics with six physical lenses to deliver crystal clear pictures, even in low light conditions
· With Nokia’s innovative PureView technology, including optical image stabilisation, the device is able to produce some of the sharpest images possible by any digital camera
· The new Nokia Pro Camera app is the default camera out of the box on Lumia 1020. Capturing amazing amounts of detail, it allows you to zoom in and create the perfect picture when editing so you don’t need to have to think about framing the perfect shot
· Using the dual capture mode, the Nokia Lumia 1020 is also capable of simultaneously taking high resolution 38 megapixel images for endless editing opportunities, while creating 5 megapixel shots that are easier to share to social networks with Windows Phone 8
· The Nokia Lumia 1020 also captures blur free videos with stereo sound even at the loudest concerts through Nokia Rich Recording, which handles sound pressure levels six times louder than conventional smartphone microphones
· The Nokia Lumia 1020 will come in yellow, white and black
Apps and accessories
· Nokia Cinemagraph, a creative tool that simply lets you add an element of life and movement to your still photographs, can now be created in 1080x720p HD resolution. Cinemagraph 3.0 also introduces ‘colour popping’ to add coloured filters to your moving photos
· The new Photo Beamer app allows you to show images from your Nokia smartphone on any browser in full HD resolution
· Hipstamatic showcased Oggl PRO, an exclusive app for the Nokia Lumia 1020 offering the most advanced smartphone camera controls for their creative community. It was also announced that popular applications Path and Flipboard will soon be available on Windows Phone
· Nokia also released a new imaging software development kit (SDK) that provides key image editing features of the Nokia Lumia 1020 to developers. The SDK is available today at developer.nokia.com with a number of developers including Vyclone, Yelp and CNN integrating these features into future releases
· Adding further professional capabilities and additional battery life, Nokia announced the new Nokia Camera Grip. This is an accessory that complements device features usually reserved for stand-alone cameras, like the Nokia Lumia 1020’s built-in xenon flash and mechanical shutter. The Nokia Camera Grip also has a tripod mount
· To help people see what’s around them and discover new places to take photos, the latest developments in LiveSight will available in HERE Maps soon. The Nokia Lumia 1020 also comes with ad and subscription free Nokia Music streaming
It’s too early to share details on availability for Australia but as soon as we have an update, we’ll let you know.